Matthew 5:13(NIV) ”You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste (its strength, its quality), how can its saltiness be restored? It is not good for anything any longer but to be thrown out and trodden underfoot by men.”
Jesus said we, His redeemed people, should be the salt of the earth.
What is salt good for?
- It is a mineral that is essential to human life.
- It has over 14,000 uses in science, industry, agricultural and medicine.
- Our bodies need it to survive.
- It is a purgative, keeping us pure.
- It is an antibiotic, keeping us uncontaminated.
- It is a preservative, keeping foods (like meat) from spoiling.
This means the church, God’s people, must be the most potent force on the planet through the preaching of the gospel that exhibits these things. Right now the church is neutralized because of a number of reasons. Due to these areas of compromise, ineffectiveness and lack of a united focus it is not as effective as it should be.
Jesus said in Luke 18:8 – ”When the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?” This is saying that God’s people are to be exercising faith and doing the tasks at hand.
The earth is the habitation of man, the lost masses needing salvation. The greatest thing the church can do to “be the salt” is to preach the gospel and make disciples! Jesus didn’t have another way for us to do this. In fact, the church right now should drop all nonessential activities and focus on doing the things we can only do on the earth. Yes, we can worship in heaven, but preaching, healing, saving and discipling is God’s method to be fruitful and multiply.
The earth is the only place we can preach the gospel like Jesus said in Matthew 10:7-9 “And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give.” Jesus said as we go anywhere, we are to declare and perform a demonstration of this message. The demonstration is the preaching.
This consists of these 5 things which bring the kingdom of heaven down to earth!
- Preach, which means proclaim good news. We do that by proclaiming, then doing. What is the good news? He tells us: “The Kingdom is at hand.” We could also say it in other ways like “God’s rule and reign is right here, right now!”
- Heal the sick – Even the most fervent cessationist believes heaven has no illness, cancer or sickness. Healing can only be done here!
- Raise the dead – ONLY done on the earth.
- Cast out demons – There clearly are no devils in heaven.
- Freely give away whatever we have received from God. If we were healed of cancer or delivered of addiction we can do the same for someone with the same kind of problem.
If we would step out and into this lifestyle, we would BE THE SALT!