A generation ago in our nation God was held in high esteem. Those who didn’t know Him or go to church showed respect for Him. Entertainers like Frank Sinatra would acknowledge “the man upstairs” and movies had plot lines with godly characters. Opening public hearing or meetings always began with prayer. But that kind of reverence and outward fear of God is mostly absent now. And for the believer today we must not only love Him but fear Him because all our right decisions and direction for our life will come when we have a fear of the Lord!
The fear of the Lord is essential for the believer we should pursue a walk of faith in the fear of God.
So, why is the Fear of the Lord Important?
- Because Jesus treasured it. “His delight is in the fear of the LORD and (so) He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears;” – Isaiah 11:3
- We want to love what the Lord loves & hate what the Lord hates! “These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren. He also hate dishonest scales, injustice, idolatry and divorce.” Proverbs 6:16-19
- We are commanded to get it and have it. “That you may fear the Lord your God, you and your son and your son’s son, by keeping all his statutes and his commandments, which I command you, all the days of your life.” – Deuteronomy 6:2
- Jesus told us fear God before men. “And do not fear those who kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” – Matthew 10:28
So what does the Fear of the Lord look like?
- Purity: Psalms 19:9
- Hatred of Evil & Injustice: Proverbs 8:13
- Contentment: Proverbs 15:16
- Wisdom & Humility: Proverbs 15:33
- Strong Confidence: Proverbs 14:26
- Peace & Comfort: Acts 9:31
- Soul Winning: II Corinthians 5:11
What are the benefits of having the Fear of the Lord?
- Wisdom: Proverbs 9:10&11
- Long Life: Proverbs 10:27
- Our Children’s Safety: Proverbs 14:27
- Allows Us to Depart Evil: Proverbs 16:6
- Riches, Honor & A Long Life: Proverbs 22:4
- Not Visited by Evil: Proverbs 19:23
How do we get the Fear of the Lord?
- Pursuit of God & Loving His Word: Proverbs 2:1
- Personal Sanctification: II Corinthians 7:1
- Walking Circumspectly: Ephesians 5:15-21
- Church Discipline: Acts 5:11