Proverbs is replete with admonitions to the lazy man but typically lazy people sometimes appear more busy than most. Activity is not productivity and sometimes lazy men rush around,diligently avoiding tasks or procrastinating till the last second.
Proverbs 12:24 The hand of the diligent will rule, But the slack hand will be put to forced labor.
Proverbs 12:27 A lazy man does not roast his prey, But the precious possession of a man is diligence
Proverbs 13:4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, But the soul of the diligent is made fat.
Proverbs 26:13-16 The sluggard says, “There is a lion in the road! A lion is in the open square!” As the door turns on its hinges, so does the sluggard on his bed. The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; He is weary of bringing it to his mouth again. The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who can give a discreet answer.
Did you know laziness and movement are related? If we are lazy we are not advancing our lives, we are in a state of inertia due to laziness.
Characteristics of the sluggard
1) Trouble getting started-Proverbs 6:9-11 How long will you lie down, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? “A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to rest”- Your poverty will come in like a vagabond And your need like an armed man.
2) Restless-He may have desires, but his trouble comes in implementing them. Proverbs 13:4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, But the soul of the diligent is made fat.
Laziness results from one of three possible areas of lack in his life:
Lack of Confidence-A profound sense of doubt in one’s own capabilities can be coupled with a fear of exposing his incompetence. In truth, everyone lacks to some degree the confidence to attempt something new or untried.But this guys is severely insecure.
Lack of Skill-They won’t apply themselves without complete assurance at the beginning that they will not fail. If they lack the necessary skills, they console themselves with pipe dreams and petty assurances they could have succeeded “if only…” Fear of failure dominates their thinking.
Lack of Desire-They are complacent people,which can be mistaken for contentment but its not. Unlike people who are content with what they have, sluggards feel entitled to greater wealth and more possessions, but they remain unwilling to do what is necessary to acquire them.
Proverbs 26:15 The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; He is weary of bringing it to his mouth again.
- Takes a toll on others.Proverbs 18:9 He also who is slack in his work is brother to him who destroys. When one team member slacks off, the others must add that person’s work to the list of their own responsibilities. A lazy employee doesn’t simply hold an organization back, but also undermines co-workers’ motivation and drive. A lazy player doesn’t merely weaken the team, but also saps its spirit and deflates its confidence. A lazy pastor doesn’t merely limit a church, but also undercuts its passion. Before long, everyone must do more to compensate for him.
- Defensive. Proverbs 26:16 NIV A sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven people who answer discreetly. “You can’t solve my problems,I am special.” For every suggestion made, the sluggard always has a reason why that won’t work, a credible argument as to why that solution will not help. Unfortunately, this clever ability to cover up or explain away keeps the lazy person from coming to terms with the real world.
So, what’s the solution if you find yourself playing the part of a sluggard? The solution in a word: Selflessness. Laziness is selfish thinking. Get over yourself and think about other people first for a change.
- Is a quitter. Proverbs 12:27 NASB A lazy man does not roast his prey, but the precious possession of a man is diligence.
- Is also a whiner. “Poor little ol’ me..” He likes to catch fish, but doesn’t clean them; loves to eat, but hates doing the dishes; doesn’t mind painting but leaves cleanup to others; prefers nice possessions but fails to care for them properly;
Laziness turns men who should be winners in to whiners and losers!